Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Yum!


Depending on ability and inclination, cooking/baking can be one of life's greatest pleasures or life's greatest banes. However, it's easy to agree that a good solid meal can make a huge difference in the way that we feel, so I thought about cooking (and its cousin, baking) today in terms of stewardship. After my little girl was born, when we all finally came home from the hospital, I was just so tired and still in so much pain (I knew it would hurt, but I didn't realize how much, I guess!), cooking a good meal seemed like so much effort! I was so grateful to those of our friends, family, and church family who brought meals over (including dessert! Wow!) without being asked. This was just such an amazing blessing, and I know I would never have suspected quite how much it would be before she was born. And I realized, though sometimes it seems like there's little that I can do to help someone because their pain (or joy, mixed with exhaustion, as in the case of a healthy birth) is their own, one thing I can do is provide some quality nourishment. I think one thing I valued the most about the kind folks who provided food to us is that they didn't ask, they just came forward, and I know that sometimes I lack that initiative myself, but it made such a difference! So, next time I'm not sure what to do for someone who I know is facing a challenge in some way, I'll think...Yum!

This great bowl (says faith, hope, love) is from LittleBayClay's Etsy store - all proceeds from her shop are donated to charitable organizations, so check out her ceramic goods!