Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Health & Hygiene


I often think about all of the products that I’m using to stay clean and healthy, and whether they’re actually good for me/the environment, or whether I’m actually slowly (or not so slowly) poisoning the world and causing extra grief for my body. For example, I recently learned that the toothpaste I was using contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is found in most toothpastes to create foaming, apparently exacerbates canker sores (which I am unfortunately frequently plagued with)! While I found a solution for this, I do wonder what other products I’m using are wreaking small amounts of havoc on either me or my world, so I’m always excited to find products that are all-natural or free of lots of toxic chemicals! This applies to stewardship in 2 ways: 1) taking care of the world by using toxin-free products; and, 2) taking care of my body – again, by using toxin-free products. I think the hardest aspects of this particular stewardship application are - finding a product that is affordable, finding a product that actually works, and simply finding a product, depending on where one lives. But when I can overcome these obstacles, I am excited to help both the earth in general and myself in particular by using a product that isn’t killing things :)!

Great Mineral Makeup is from mummumcraft's Etsy store!