Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day Celebration!


What I love about Earth Day is that (at least in my neck of the woods), it’s about the time every year when the weather finally warms up considerably and when you look around at the growing plants, you smile. Now, I think this was no accident on the parts of the Earth Day planners, but nonetheless, it has worked for me! Of course, what I also appreciate is that at least for this day, people are encouraged to think seriously about the way they use resources and about tending to the earth a little more carefully. Sometimes I wonder whether there’s so much praise placed on the earth, though, that its creation gets overlooked, and its purpose of bringing glory to God gets pushed aside. So I just wanted to put that front and center today and think about how the beauty of the flowers, trees, rivers, greenery, deserts, mountains, and whatever else we see when we walk outside – how they all reflect the glory of God and His abiding power. So I am reminded today to care for the earth as I should care for a precious gift that He’s provided, and to praise Him when I see the beauty, awe, and power in the works of His hand.

Beautiful photo of God's creative hand at work from thingsthataremade's Etsy shop!