Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"Our" Resources

My husband related today that he heard an interesting piece on the radio regarding adoption from other countries, and all of the various aspects to consider when making this choice, and I thought something very insightful was said, which was that if you are interested in "helping somebody," you should donate money, but if you would like to build a family, then you should adopt. This struck me because I think often as Christians we think about how to share what we've been given, and perhaps, sometimes, it's easy to think of this as how we can be a benefactor for someone else rather than how we can operate as a family of God, considering all resources to be provided for this purpose. I believe that most who choose to adopt are adopting to create a family rather than to play benefactor to a child, and I believe adoption to be an amazing opportunity and blessing, but I found that suggestion to consider motives to be really interesting to think about. And it brought to mind a faithful organization that works to share the gospel, improve living conditions, and disperse resources around the world, World Vision. Also, it encouraged me to try to remember, every day, that the resources we have come from God, and as such, belong to God as we belong to Him, so rather than thinking of how I can use or disperse them, I should prayerfully consider what He has in mind for them, whether that means by expanding our family in adoption, or sharing resources in another way.